Saturday, January 7, 2012

Year in Beer - v2

1/2/2012 - Sierra Nevada's Ruthless Rye IPA
This lovely new Rye based IPA from one of my favorite California breweries is wonderful. As far as I have heard this will be replacing Glissade as their very early "spring" beer and as much as Aaron Carlberg will be disappointed by this, I am ecstatic.
I really enjoy Rye in beer; it adds an earthy aroma and flavor. At the end of the day just smooths out the malts and gives most beers made with it a very nice mouth feel.
In Sierra Nevada form, the beer comes forth with a brilliant fresh earth and flower aroma from the hops, and makes you excited to be having an IPA. It is a nice almost red color and and is gorgeous in the glass.
The taste was very dry due to the hops but still had that smooth mouth feel in the finish. I thought the balance between earthy malts, dryness from the hop bitterness, and smoothness made this a great new beer that I get to look forward to every year. Oh and the artwork is badass.

No comments:

Post a Comment