Saturday, January 7, 2012

Year in Beer

I know this has been done, attempted and failed many times by many bloggers, better than myself... but this year I am going to try and taste 365 new beers. This is going to be tough as I have had a lot of beers over the last few years and finding new things in my region can sometimes be difficult.

So, we'll give it the whole Dutch "try".

This blog will include the first of the 6 beers I've had in 2012 thus far.

1/1/2012: Lost Abbey - Angel's Share Bourbon Barrel Aged - 2010 (maybe 2009)
This beer was very dark in color, had a fantastic rasin and brown sugar aroma split pretty nicely between two glasses. The beer was bottled in a Cork and Caged 275mL bottle and opened with very little hiss from carbonation. As the beer was poured it again revealed very little in the way of carbonation but wasn't flat, just not a lot of head.
I had heard rumors of this beer oxidizing and becoming infected and therefore not tasting the way it was expected to taste. This particular bottle was perfectly fine. Nice big, bold, boozy, stout with about 2 years of age on it. The alcohol was still quite prevelant, despite the age, but at a starting point of 12.5% ABV it isn't all that surprising that it still was a major flavor component. The booze was followed by a nice chocolate and coffee flavor and was a fantastic sipping beer. I think I enjoyed it more than Zach (who I shared it with) as he was driven to plow through it and get to a Firestone DBA. I really enjoyed this beer and I think I'll pick up the Brandy Aged 2011 vintage if I can still find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment